Monday, September 27, 2004

"We Find Some Reason To Believe"

Got a visit this afternoon from my favorite student-athlete, Amparo, aka "Hot Spanish Golfer Chick" (an accurate descriptor, I assure you). I haven't seen the HSGC in the center much over the past semester and a half or so, but that's mostly because she hasn't had many papers to write. She said she'd have a couple more for me to look at in the coming months, and wants me specifically to look at them, so I guess I'll be seeing her again.

Thing is, she's got a better grasp of the English language than most people who write and speak it as their first language. She certainly puts more effort into her papers than most students. Looking over the paper she brought in this afternoon, there really wasn't much for me to correct. Most of the corrections were minor things (commas, prepositonal errors that are common even for native speakers, and word/phrase choice issues of an idomatic nature). Her biggest problem was using phrases and words that make perfect sense in Spanish, but do not make sense in the American English idiom. She's exceptionally competent, which really just adds to the fact that she's probably the most student-athlete I've dealt with in my 2+ years here.

Man, it bugs me that we can't date the athletes sometimes. I understand the reasoning, and I admit that it makes perfect sense, but girls like the HSGC really make it tough to follow that.

Of course, she'd most likely turn me down if I asked her on a date anyway, so it really doesn't matter all that much. But a man can dream.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Jars of Clay, "Sunny Days"

No comments: