Thursday, September 09, 2004

"How Far Is Heaven?"

So when I was home last weekend, I went digging through my dad's CDs (old habit--never know what good stuff you'll find). Anyway, I came across the Los Lonely Boys CD, which seemed an odd entry into my father's collection, since it just came out this past year and it's by a new band. Well, it seemed odd until I started to listen to it. I figured out quickly why he had it--first of all, because his cousin gave it to him and said he'd like it. Well, amazingly enough, he did. Turns out the guys in this band are what could easily be called consumate musicians, and they are steeped in classic rock and roll lore and form. The instruments blend seamlessly into one another, and the guitar solos...the guitar solos explained exactly why my father actually liked this CD.

See, the guitarist's style sounds like Santana filtered through Stevie Ray Vaughn. This is a good thing. A very good thing. The man crafts these tight, explosive solos into each song, expertly handling his guitar like a seasoned pro.

Now usually I don't go in much for guitar pyrotechnics. I prefer the subtle, less blatant stuff, like George Harrison's soloing (which weaves and snakes through the main body of the music, adding layers rather than overwhelming the other instruments). But I do recognize craftsmanship, ability and skill when I hear it, and the guitarist for Los Lonely Boys has all that in spades. This is a classicist rock album that doesn't sound dated or too nostalgic, and doesn't sound too much of its time. It's a timeless, excellent album that blends Latin rhythms with crunchy Texan blues in a great batch of songs. Highly recommended to anyone who just wants a great guitar-rock album. And it features Willie Nelson (at whose studio the group recorded the album) on a song, which is cool.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Los Lonely Boys, "Senorita"

No comments: