Monday, September 13, 2004

"Water Moves, Earth Is Still"

Well, I managed to drag myself to work. Walking is still a painful hobble, but riding the bike was relatively easy, thank God. I should be able to get around thanks to the bike, then.

Chatted with Beth a bit this afternoon. Sounded like she was having a rough day, too, but hers was mostly in connection with the stupidity of the US Postal Service and the local tag agency (who are apparently afraid to go outside if it's raining. Guess they'll melt or something). I asked her if she planned on leaving if the hurricane made for Tallahassee. After laughing, she said, "Heck no." Her plans are something to the effect of kicking back and watching the storm roll in.

I have to wonder, though--what is it about meteorologists that makes them think, "Gee, there's a really big storm coming towards me. Think I'll watch it." Anyone with any common sense would see a tornado or a hurricane coming and seek shelter, but not meteorologists--no, they want to see it. Admittedly, I do the same thing, as Beth was quick to point out, but at least I have the decency to have been born and raised in an area where tornadoes are such a frequent occurance that they don't really bother us anymore. She's a New Yorker, so she really doesn't have any such excuse.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Barenaked Ladies, "Brian Wilson"

No comments: