Sunday, September 05, 2004

"There's A Hole In The Sky Where God Used To Be"

So I just got back into Norman from my visit home. Friday night's concert was a blast. I knew about half the songs Willie Nelson played (and most of those only because I'd listened to dad's The Essential Willie Nelson earlier that afternoon) and all but about three of Dylan's tunes. Dad was a bit disappointed with Dylan, mostly because Bob played mostly new stuff (off of Time Out of Mind and Love & Theft). Also, Dylan's voice was rather ragged, to put it mildly. Whereas Dylan was once almost in-key when he sang, and usually got at least close to singing with the beat, now he's completely off on both accounts. His voice is a raspy growl, and he swings back and forth across the song, always too early or too late in his vocals. But his backing band kicks more ass that 90% of the rock and roll bands out there today, and his songs are still great, so I'm not gonna complain too much. Dad also got me a new Bob Dylan t-shirt (my old one, which I got back in 2001, is a little worn) and a keychain that's pretty sweet.

Yesterday was the birthday party for my cousin's daughter, Bailey. She's two years old now, and acts every bit of it. Sweet little girl, though, and she was running around the whole time having a blast. Found out my cousin will be moving back to Oklahoma in about a month, which everyone is rather happy about. He's had a hard time being so far away from his family for so long (when he hasn't been overseas with the Air Force, he's been in New Mexico). My aunt also invited me over next Friday, when they'll be having a big party for her and a couple of friends who're all having birthdays right around the same time. The tenor of this party will be a bit different, though--from what I can gather, much alcohol will be consumed, much fun will be had, and many swear words will be uttered. But they're 40-somethings who've never really grown up, so that's to be expected. But it'll be fun, that's for sure.

Not much else to say. Got Bob Dylan's Infidels today, which is probably his best 80s album (though that's not a diffuclt feat to manage. Most of Dylan's stuff from the 80s was mediocre at best). Good stuff, though. Solid songwriting, great backup band (Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits, Mick Taylor of the Stones, Alan Clark on keyboards...damn fine band). It's worth checking out for any Dylan afficianados out there.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Bob Dylan, "I and I"

No comments: