Wednesday, September 29, 2004

"Come Gather 'Round People, Wherever You Roam"

So a few weeks ago, as I was wrapping up the scripts for the Yellowstone Saga, I started wondering what my next big storyline would be. I had a few ideas, though none of them were really fleshed out yet. I ultimately decided to do a series of comics that were political in nature, a political satire the likes of which the world has never seen.

Then I decided not to.

The second decision was made about a week ago, mostly because I didn't like how I'd started the series, I didn't know where I was going to take it, and frankly, it wasn't all that funny. I started working on a couple of other possibilities, but I was restless. Nothing was clicking--I couldn't come up with anything funny for important and necessary plot movement, and none of the comics really seemed all that inspired.

So I sat down this afternoon with the intention of creating a new storyline (finally) that I could start next week or the week after. As I stared at the blank page, my mind started clicking and whirring. The next thing I knew, I had the first three or four comics for the political satire storyline drawn, and a good idea what I wanted to do with it (at least for the next few weeks).

So chances are, I'll start a new storyline on Monday or Wednesday of next week--a story that examines the electoral process, that lampoons presidential debates, and generally makes fun of democracy and all its American idyosyncracies (of which there are many). With any luck, I'll make people laugh. With a little more, I'll piss a couple of people off. Pushing my luck real far, perhaps I'll make someone think. Whatever the ultimate result, I think I'm now ready to tackle the storyline and actually make it interesting.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: David Bowie, "Rebel Rebel"

No comments: