Tuesday, September 07, 2004

"Praise The Lord Above And Sell, Sell, Sell"

I think I accidentally signed up for a credit card this morning.

It annoys me. About twenty minutes ago (ten minutes before my alarm was scheduled to go off), my phone rang. I jump up to answer it, thinking it might be something serious (like my parents calling, or my boss needing me to come in early, or some beautiful woman needing sexual gratification right now--y'know, something important). Anyway, the girl on the other end, who had a thick accent, starts asking me all this stuff. I'm still half asleep, and for some reason think she's somehow associated with the university. So I don't do my usual thing, which is to say "Sorry, I'm not interested at this time" and hang up. No, I stay on the line, providing information. Crap. I've just earned myself extra junk mail for the rest of my time here. I think there's a verification thing I have to do to get the card started, though, so I think if I just never do anything with the card, I'll be fine. Or if not, then I'll just cancel the damn thing when it arrives.

I'm mostly annoyed that they called so damn early. I mean, don't they have the decency to wait until midday, when I'd have been gone anyway? Blah. I'm gonna start trying to sell stuff to telemarketers, I think. Offer them vinyl siding and credit cards and crap like that. I'm sick of it. I don't know when they decided college kids are easy targets, but they enjoy taking advantage of people who don't know any better, or who aren't awake enough to realize what's going on (as was the case with me, dammit). I think I'm gonna have to just stop trying to answer the phone when it wakes me up. If it's someone or something truly important, they'll leave a message, y'know?

~chuck

Song of the Moment: The Beatles, "Hello Goodbye"

No comments: