Wednesday, September 08, 2004

"Fame--What You Get You Have To Borrow"

So I was chatting with Monkey earlier this evening, and our discussion turned from monkeys (not an unusual topic when you're conversing with a guy who calls himself Noise Monkey) to the Dim Bulb site. We both wondered why Dim Bulb isn't more popular than it is. I mean, we've been at it for over a year now. There are comics out there that're a helluva lot more popular that haven't been around half as long (and don't update even a third as often). I'm not exactly jealous or bitter, mind you, just curious why comics that don't seem (to me) to be as good or as consistant as we are seem to get so much more attention. What did they do that we didn't? Get friends in high places? Hit at just the right time with just the right crowd? I don't really fully understand any of it.

But we're trying the best we can, and are confident we'll one day be recognized for our talent. I know I'm not the best artist out there--I'll be the first to admit it, or, since I'm a little slow today, about the twelfth--but I'm consistant, I've got a very individual style, and my writing and jokes are usually pretty damn funny. And Adam's a great artist, with a good eye for layout and panel composition, and a sharp wit all his own. We're better than a huge majority of the crap out there, hands down, but don't get the recognition.

Maybe I'm just whining. Maybe it's only a matter of time before we're recognized for our abilities and talents, and our audience will explode and increase exponentially. But until then, it annoys me that there are sprite comics with greater readerships on Keenspace right now than Adam and I have (and we're not talking about great sprite comics like 8-Bit Theatre here, but rather sixth-rate Bob and George knock-offs). There should be justice, y'know?

~chuck

Song of the Moment: David Bowie, "Fame"

No comments: