Thursday, September 16, 2004

"See How They Twist And Shout"

So I was talking with Clif on the phone earlier this evening, and he made mention of something that got me thinking.

See, he suggested that when I get my degree finished up, I just find a job. And the prospect...frightened me, to be honest. I'm scared to death of the idea of going out there and just getting a job, being in the working world. I've always just made the assumption that I'll go from here to another school to get my PhD. But...what if it doesn't work that way?

To be perfectly honest, part of the reason I'm pursuing higher degrees is a fear of the so-called real world. I don't feel ready to be out there. I don't think I can survive on my own yet. Hell, I know I can't. There's something sad about that. My brother was suggesting I find a job not out of any sort of malice, but because that's probably the logical next step for most people after college. But no--my choice was to go to another college, to remain in an environment that was, if not exactly the same as the one I just left (at Ozarks), is at least the same kind of environment, with a familiarity to it.

Honestly, I don't know what I'll do when I leave here. I don't even know when that will be. Hell, I still need to finish this semester, really. One step at a time, y'know?

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Leon Russell, "Tight Rope"

No comments: