Monday, September 13, 2004

"I Ain't No Fortunate Son"

So I can manage to hobble around the apartment a little bit now. I can even put a little pressure on my foot. Mom says this sort of thing (if it is gout) is always worst when you first wake up in the morning, so that lends a new joy to the mornings.

As mom says, there is a history of this crap in my family. Most of it stems from the Cottrell men not wanting to drink water. My great-grandfather (a Roork, but the grandfather of my father nonetheless) refused to just drink water. He preferred his Kool-Aid, which was usually made with about twice as much sugar as the directions require. He refused to drink water until the day he died (at the ripe old age of 91, I should add), pointing out that he hadn't really cared for it before, so why start at the age of 85? There was a certain...sense to what he said, I have to admit, and a sort of twisted logic that seems to be a common trait amongst members of my family.

My dad is just as bad. He doesn't drink soda pop (my vice), but he does drink coffee, beer, the occasional Gatorade after a run, and Kool-Aid...exclusively. He doesn't drink water. He doesn't want to. Apparently his gout is currently giving him hell because of this as well.

So in essence, I get to inherit my father's tendencies and his gout. Gee dad, thanks a lot. Most fathers pass on record collections or heirlooms, and I get stiff, painful feet. Weee.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: CCR, "Fortunate Son"

No comments: