Sunday, July 25, 2004

"We Were Born Before The Wind"

Well, got all six comics drawn for the coming two weeks, and I'm in the process of scanning them all now.  As I mentioned last time, I'm very pleased with the way they all turned out.  If I can keep up this rhythm, I could get a lot of comics done in a very short amount of time.

There's stil quite a bit to do between now and Tuesday night.  I need to get the apartment cleaned up, the dishes need to be done (preferably today...they've been sitting in the sink entirely too long), I need to pack, I have to work Monday and Tuesday (six hours each day, which is better than not working, let me tell you).  I have begun the most important part of packing--picking out what CDs I'm taking with me.  Clothes are simply there to cover one's body, but the music I'm taking has to last me a week and a half, and keep me awake on the long stretches of boring Oklahoma and Arkansas interstate.  As it stands, I'll probably be driving for about eight hours or so on Thursday, another five to seven on Friday, four or five on Sunday, and who knows how many from there.  I'll need to make sure I've got enough music to keep me entertained during that time.  Here's how the list looks, though it's subject to change at the last minute based on what I decide I want to listen to on Tuesday:

Mutual Admiration Society - Mutual Admiration Society
Beatles - Help!
Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin
Pink Floyd - The Wall (two discs)
Wilco - Summer Teeth
Bruce Springsteen - The Rising
Moxy Fruvous - Live Noise
Bob Dylan - The Bootleg Series, Vol. 1-3 (three discs)
Gorillaz - Gorillaz
Van Morrison - Moondance
Eagles - The Very Best (two discs)
Counting Crows - Films About Ghosts
David Gray - Sell, Sell, Sell
Barenaked Ladies - Stunt
Mark Knopfler - Sailing to Philadelphia
Glen Phillips - Live at Largo
The Band - Greatest Hits
Tom Petty - Wildflowers
Old 97's - Too Far to Care

Now, that's only 23 CDs, and my case holds 24; what of the other CD?  Well, that'll be a mix CD of my own creation.  I've got a playlist put together that I think I'm happy with.  It goes something like this:

Ben Folds Five - "Battle of Who Could Care Less"
Yoko Kanno & the Seatbelts - "The Egg and I"
Beatles - "I Don't Want to Spoil the Party"
Wilco - "Airline to Heaven"
Allman Brothers Band - "No One to Run With"
Electric Light Orchestra - "Ma Ma Ma Belle"
Otis Redding - "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay"
David Gray - Kangaroo
Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young - "Helplessly Hoping"
Flaming Lips - "The Spark that Bled"
George Harrison - "P2 Vatican Blues (Last Saturday Night)"
Mark Knoplfer - "Hill Farmer's Blues"
Gorillaz - "19-2000 (Soulchild Remix)"
Moxy Fruvous - "Blow Wind Blow"
Better than Ezra - "King of New Orleans"
Radiohead - "Street Spirit (Fade Out)"
They Might Be Giants - "Don't Let's Start"
Tom Petty - "Crawling Back to You"
Tom Lehrer - "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park"
"Chrono Cross End Theme"

Figure an average run time for a single CD is about 45 minutes, give or take a few (some are longer, such as the one I'm making myself, and some are much shorter).  So that gives me roughly 18 hours of music, if I've done my math right.  That might just about last me the whole trip without repeating anything, but I doubt it.  Besides, that's the conservative estimate--most of the CDs I have with me are actually probably longer than 45 minutes a piece, but stuff like each disc of The Wall and the Beatles album are only about 30 minutes each, so that brings down the average.

Anyway, that's probably more music crap than any of you wanted to hear from me, but hey, this is my blog, and I'll post about what I damn-well please.  So nya.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: ELO, "Ma-ma-ma Belle"

No comments: