Saturday, July 10, 2004

"It's Just An Illusion Caused By The World Spinning 'Round"

I've been on a big Flaming Lips/Wilco/Bob Dylan kick the past few days. It's as though every CD or even song I listen to is by one of those three bands. I think the next CD I want to buy (after Mutual Admiration Society, the collaboration between Glen Phillips and Nickel Creek, which comes out next week!) will probably be the Flaming Lips' The Soft Bulletin. All the songs I've heard off of it have been excellent; wonderfully crafted epics with tempo shifts, mini-suites, and elegance woven into them.

Went and had lunch with Audrey. She was charming and bright, as per usual. I swear, I don't know that girl nearly as well as I'd like, but every time I've encountered her, she's always had a smile on her face and nice things to say about anybody and everybody. She's a genuinely good person; or, as Everett phrased it (and I think this is probably what I was trying to express when I described her to him), she's a virtuous person. You don't meet many of them these days, but Audrey is one. So's Beth, come to think of it--people for whom their convictions are exceptionally important and heartfelt, whose morals and ethics are strong and well-grounded, and who don't let any of that stuff get in the way of being genuinely nice and glad to see people. I always leave a meeting with people like Audrey feeling like I should be a better person and that I don't deserve to be in their presence. That's really what it boils down to--there are several people--most of them female--whom I know and feel not only privileged to know, but that I'm somehow not fully worthy of being their friend, that I'm some mucky sewer-dweller who's been granted an audience by a holy person.

I've been playing twenty questions (or a variation thereof) with Mel online most of the evening, just for the fun of it. Basic stuff, like favorite movies, scariest moments, etc. It's an amusing diversion from the crap I should be doing.

~chaos cricket

Song of the Moment: Flaming Lips, "The Spark that Bled"

No comments: