Sunday, July 04, 2004

"See The Ghost Of Slavery Ships"

Well, went and hung out with my youngest brother last night over at my aunt and uncle's place (where's he's recovering from having surgery on his foot to have some bone spurs removed while my parents are away on vacation). My aunt and uncle fed me, which is always nice, and it was just a good, relaxing time.

Tomorrow is Independence Day, the day when we celebrate the signing of the Declaration of Independence and our determination to be a self-governing nation. A lot's happened in the 200+ years since that historic event, but you have to admit--even with the way Dubya keeps trying to stamp on human rights, we are still lucky to live in a country where we can bitch about our leader and not get dragged off in the night and killed by government agents; where we can spend time and energy bitching about having to pay exorbent gas prices for our inefficient SUVs and not have to worry about whether or not we'll have food tomorrow; where we essentially have a constitutionally-guaranteed right to bitch and complain as loudly as we want to whomever we want.

As for celebrations, my uncle's band is playing here in Norman tomorrow afternoon, so I'm gonna go down and listen to him play. For those in the Norman area, it's at Reeve's Park on Jenkins at 4.00 pm. Old guys rockin' out like teenagers, only without so much whining and angst, and much better guitar solos (my uncle's the lead guitarist).

~chaos cricket

Song of the Moment: Counting Crows, "Up All Night"

No comments: