Wednesday, July 21, 2004

"Sadly Sweet Like A Wilco Song"

It's just a few minutes after 8.00 am, and I'm already at work.  I wasn't scheduled to work until 11.00, but one of my coworkers called me up at 2.30 this morning asking if I'd cover her 8-11 shift.  She didn't really provide much of a reason--I think her exact words were that she had "something else [she] wants to do"--but it's an extra three hours for me, so I'm not going to complain much, even if I did only get three hours of sleep because of her and her inability to plan further ahead.

Thought I saw Megan Garland, an old junior high/high school friend, while I was in the store this morning getting something to drink (caffinated beverages are a Godsend, folks).  I'm not certain it was her, because I never heard her speak and she didn't seem to recognize me, but she was carrying a Beatles purse, had Pink Floyd stickers on her car, and she just looked like Megan.  I know from talking to Jessica that Megan still lives around here, so it very well could have been her.  The rest of the evidence seems to fit, too--back in junior high, she was the only other person I knew my age who liked the Beatles.  In the eighth grade, we actually did a project together on Hypercard (this old Mac program that, in hindsight, was like a really easy-to-use webpage builder) in which we cataloged all their albums and songs, putting together lyrics for the really important ones (often from memory, 'cause we had all the songs memorized), animations of various things (we were excited to get to use the new scanner--a handheld device that was brand freakin' new way back in 1993--and we were particularly proud of our floating Yellow Submarine), and biographies.  We were never necessarily very close, but she was someone I knew who wasn't ashamed to know me (that was a short list in junior high, let me tell you).

My vacation starts next week.  I'm excited--a week and a half just visiting with Ozarks friends, no obligations except standing in one place for the space of an hour or so at various and sundry weddings...it's gonna be fun.  Have to get some comics cranked out, though, so I don't miss any updates while I'm away.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Glen Phillips, "Back on my Feet"

No comments: