Friday, July 16, 2004

"Walking On Broken Glass"
 
Well, I had a nice little wake-up call this morning.
 
I was sitting at the computer, checking email and getting ready to have a quick bite of breakfast, when the phone rang.  It was the OU Police.  At first, I was afraid I'd done something wrong, though I couldn't recall anything I'd done in recent past or why they'd be calling me on it at 7.00 am.  But it turns out someone had smashed in one of my car windows late last night/early this morning.  That was loads of fun to discover.  Apparently mine wasn't the only car vandalized--a couple of others in my complex's parking lot also had windows smashed, and the other car that I saw had a major window completely smashed in, whereas I only suffered a fist-sized hole in the small half-window in the rear passenger door (thank goodness for small favors, eh?).
 
Thankfully, nothing was taken out of my car...not that there was a lot in the car, and nothing worth taking, but the sort of asshole who would smash in a window for a lark isn't above rummaging through someone's stuff and randomly taking any of it.  But oddly enough, after having gone to the effort of even breaking the little window, they didn't even bother trying to open the door or anything.  Well, they might have, but they must've been really conscientious if they did--the door was locked, none of the glass sitting on the armrest had been disturbed or moved, and they left everything inside the car exactly as it had been.  Somehow, I have my doubts they actually wanted to break in, and instead simply wanted to cause destruction.

I'll never be able to understand the sort of mentality that is necessary to find this sort of malicious destruction of personal property entertaining or amusing.  Obviously some people are entertained by vandalism, but I'll be damned if I can see where the pleasure in it is.  As it stands, I'm annoyed as hell, because now I have to pay money because someone else was a fucking asshole and struck out at my car completely at random.  I'm nearly 100% convinced that it's completely at random, because I don't think I have any enemies here at OU, and if I do, I don't think they necessarily know what car I drive, and where I live, and that they'd also go around smashing in other car windows as well as mine.  If I'm dealing with an enemy, they're very clever, and if that is the case, I would seriously kick their ass when I found who they were.
 
But no, I have to deal with effects of some random idiot's asanine behavior now, which means shelling out money I don't have to pay for something I shouldn't have to replace.  But such is life, eh?
 
~chaos cricket
 
Song of the Moment: Counting Crows, "Round Here (Live)"

No comments: