Thursday, July 29, 2004

"These Be Seven Curses On The Judge So Cruel"

It's Thursday night, and I'm still in Shawnee, OK.  My plans have changed just a wee bit, but I think it's for the better.  See, originally I was going to go visit my friend Amanda E. today.  But she pointed out that her current location (northern Arkansas) is a hella long drive from here, and a hella long drive to El Dorado, AR, where I need to be tomorrow afternoon for the wedding rehersal.  So Amanda and I are just going to get together sometime next week instead, when she's done with work and I don't have a dozen different places to be and times to be there.  All I can say is that it's a good thing someone out there can plan and think ahead, 'cause I know I sure as hell can't.

So anyway, I'll leave early tomorrow morning for El Dorado, where we have rehersals and dinners and weddings to attend to in the next couple of days.  Got my sleeping arrangements taken care of the majority of the trip (Heather said I could crash at her folks' place Friday and Saturday nights, and Amanda W. said she has a couch I'm more than welcome to crash on for as long as I need).  Now I just have to make the long drives and all that.  At least I won't be having to sleep in the car (like I originally thought I might).

Also found out another friend of mine is engaged to be married this October, Miss Sarah Rosenberg.  She's also apparently back in AR after having finished up her Master's degree in Massachusetts (yeah, some people actually manage to complete theirs on time).

Got to talk with Clif this evening.  He's not really wanting to leave Colorado, from the sound of it.  Not that I can really blame him, mind you--he's spending all his time doing something he loves in an absolutely gorgeous environment.  I'd kill to be in his place.  Sounds like he also doesn't want anything to do with graduate school.  Apparently my experience has made him a little shy of that, and he says he's also just flat-out tired of school.  He's ready to do something else for awhile, though what he doesn't know quite yet.

So I'm sitting here using my dad's laptop to use the internet.  I'd forgotten there are a few things I dislike when dealing with computers--namely, laptop keyboads (I hate them), dial-up, and not having my music collection readily accessible with the click of a button.  On the positive side, he does have an optical mouse hooked up to the machine, and the laptop itself is fairly top of the line, so the slowdown from using dial-up isn't as bad as it could be.  The real annoying thing is that after tonight, I won't have any access for a few days.  At least the comics seem to be updating as they ought to.  Now if only my school email would load.  Stupid dial-up.

Well, time for bed.  Early morning and a long drive ahead of me tomorrow.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Bob Dylan, "Hard Times in New York Town"

No comments: