Monday, July 26, 2004

"It Sucks Me In When You're Aloof"

They went ahead and ended the voting on my battle in the Keenspace Forum Collesium Battle.  I was winning something like 13 to 3, so they called a mercy kill--and then I posted my comic, which involved me making my opponent's head explode by listening to me read history at him.  In fact, because it amused me, the text I used for the history reading was the first few sentences of my Master's Thesis.

Anyway, I guess my next match will be against the winner of one of the two or three other battles going on right now.  For the moment, I'm posting a couple of spectator comics to keep me entertained, and getting ready to leave for a week and a half.

Okay, so there's this thing called the Web Cartoonist's Choice Awards held every year.  It's basically like the Academy Awards of Webcomics.  You have various categories, such as outstanding sci-fi comic, or outstanding color art, or outstanding writing, character design, what-have-you, and then there's some voting by somebody, and winners are chosen.  Well, this year, Count Your Sheep won six of themSix.  That's like...insane.

Of course, Dim Bulb wasn't nominated for anything.  Then again, we average about 125 visitors per day, give or take.  Probably not the numbers you need to get noticed by this group, y'know?  I mean, we're talking the likes of Megatokyo, Penny Arcade, Something Positive, and Mac Hall.  Yeah, I didn't think we could compete with any of them, either, Talon Lueco's insistence that I'm the funniest man alive notwithstanding.

But I'm not worried about that, really--we don't Dim Bulb for recognition and fame and all that.  Well, I don't.  Maybe Adam does, I dunno.  I do Crooked Halo because I enjoy drawing and writing it, I have an attachment to the characters and like working with them.  I like Troubled Times because it's a different kind of story for me, an attempt at a serious story (I'm not usually very good at serious, y'know), and it's fun watching something I wrote get turned into a real comic by someone with some serious talent (whatever one may think of my artistic abilities, drawing Troubled Times in the way it needs to be drawn because of the story is way beyond what I could do).  Really, I'd still want to do the comics even if there were only two or three people reading.  Sure, I'd be disappointed if our readership dropped that much, and I do check our site statistics every day or two, but that's because I also enjoy entertaining people, and I like seeing our numbers go up, because that means more people are being entertained.  And that's a good feeling.

Anyway, off for bed.  I have work in the morning, and I'd hate to be late; especially because Ev said he ought to have the Master's Thesis proofread for me by then.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: They Might Be Giants, "Ana Ng"

No comments: