Wednesday, January 05, 2005

"See That She's Wearing A Coat So Warm"

I don't know what it is about nasty weather, but it always makes me restless. When the weather turns bad--ice, heavy rain, whatever--my first impulse is always to rush out to the car and go for a drive. Not a drive to anywhere in particular, just a drive. Bad weather makes me want to move, whereas in absolutely beautiful weather, I'm content to lounge around the apartment doing nothing all day.

I don't really know why this is. Part of it is just to prove that I am, in fact, capable of driving in adverse conditions. Quite capable, actually. I may have several bad habits as a driver, but I'm a good driver nonetheless. So many people are incapable of driving when things get even a bit icy or wet, don't seem to understand that you might have to take it slower or pay more attention (like not talking on your damn cellphone while you drive), but that it's possible to get around still.

The other part of my desire to drive in the nastiness is freedom. I hate being restricted. When I have no limitations on my ability to get up and go--such as when the weather is perfect--then I don't have to go somewhere, but know that I can if I decide to. But when it turns nasty out...it's like the world is attempting to deny me the freedom to go where I please when I please, and I have to prove it wrong.

The other option is, of course, that I'm just flat-out insane. Batshit crazy. And this is also very likely.

Must go clean the apartment now. Jess & Dom are probably coming over this evening for dinner and stuff, so I ought to at least make an effort to make it look as though I'm not a total slob. Even if I am.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Bob Dylan, "Girl from the North Country"

1 comment:

Noise Monkey said...

that reminds me of this...