Wednesday, January 19, 2005

"The Fountain Of Perpetual Mirth"

I completed the first Final Fantasy game this evening. Me completing a videogame is such a rare occurance that I felt it warranted a mention.

Overall, I was pleased with the game, though I wish it had taken longer to complete (only lasted about 12, 13 hours...short for an RPG). Granted, this game was originally an NES game (y'know, old school, 8-bit Nintendo), so it's sorta to be understood. The system was fairly limited, and that much gameplay out of an old cart like that (when a game like the original Super Mario Brothers can take you less than half an hour, if you're good) was pretty impressive.

The fact that I had a walkthrough helped, too. I'm man enough to admit that I'd have never defeated the game (or found the airship, gotten the class change, etc.) if I hadn't had the walkthrough. I still had to play the game, mind you. I just knew where I needed to go.

I have the overwhelming urge to do a review of George Harrison's All Things Must Pass, not because I've only just heard it for the first time recently (this is not the case--it's been one of my favorite albums for about four or five years now), but because I've been listening to it again this week after borrowing it from my dad and remembering that it's such a brilliant album. Definitely proved that George Harrison was feeling repressed in the latter days of the Beatles and had a little pent up frustration he wanted to vent.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: George Harrison, "The Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let it Roll)"

2 comments:

Noise Monkey said...

You've never gotten the airship before now?

Dude, I can't believe we're friends...

Chuck Cottrell said...

Hey, until I started playing Dawn of Souls, I'd never bothered with the first Final Fantasy game much. The one time I did play it (on emulator, 'cause I'm a cheap bastard), I didn't get very far...think I beat Garland and crossed the bridge, then lost interest. So I never got to the point where you get the airship or anything like that.