Tuesday, January 18, 2005

"I've Been Waiting To Awaken From These Dreams"

I really need to stop with the taking two or three hour naps every afternoon. It's really messing up my sleep cycle and causing me no end of trouble when I go to bed at night.

My phone has rang nearly off the hook all afternoon and evening. Mom's called, Beth's called, my cousin Chris called, Scott called, Amanda W. called...it's like folks are lining up to talk to me. Which is cool and all, I guess. I often miss having contact with lots of people. I'm a social person by general disposition, but I'm also a loner who doesn't necessarily put himself out there to be around people. I mean, my lunch with Audrey yesterday was the first time in a few weeks that I'd really made an effort to associate with someone other than those I work with or those I'm related to. It's not that I don't want to be around people (though there is that sometimes...a holdover from elementary and junior high school), just that...well, it's tough finding folks around here that I want to hang out with, y'know? Oh well. I can get by for another semester here.

Started reading a new book on Wendy's recommendation. It's called The Ill-Made Mute, by Cecelia Dart-Thornton. I'm only just barely into the novel (and it's a trilogy), but it's pretty good so far. The language the author uses is a little too florid and fancy for my tastes sometimes. I've noticed that most of the books Wendy recommends are along those lines--beautifully written, but a little too florid for me most of the time. Still good books though, and I think this one sounds pretty interesting. It seems to weave a lot of folklore into itself, and it has a believable, interesting world. We'll just have to see.

On the subject of books, I finally found volume 5 of the Shaman King manga. It was supposed to come out sometime last month, so of course it's only made its way to Oklahoma this week. I'll probably be picking that up this weekend.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Yoko Kanno & the Seatbelts, "Bad Dog No Biscuits"

No comments: