Saturday, January 22, 2005

"Heroes And Villains"

Yesterday ended up being a busy day. After work, I went to Midwest City to help my cousin out with some questions he had about his Government class (the poor guy's been out of school for over 4 years, so he's not really in the "college groove," as it were). His daughter, Bailey, the two year old I've mentioned before, still reacts strangely to me--whenever she first sees me, she's shy as all hell, but after about ten minutes, she suddenly remembers who I am, grabs me by the hand, and starts dragging me around the house to play. I think part of it has to do with seeing her right after she's woken up from a nap.

Anyway, helped my cousin out with his stuff, he and Bailey left, and my aunt, uncle and I ate dinner. After dinner, we relaxed for a bit and then all headed down to Norman, where one of my uncle's bands was playing. Convinced one of my coworkers, Vicki, to come out and hear them, and she had a blast (as I thought she would). Got home from that, showered, and crashed.

So I woke up this afternoon to the phone ringing and Scott needing a favor from me (this is not an uncommon thing). I've done a whole lot of nothing in the hour since then, except for decide that I need to write a review of Brian Wilson's Smile, which I got a copy of from my uncle last night. Of course, I'm still trying to figure out if I'm even capable of talking about the album, since the meat of it is not in the lyrics, but in the music and the texture. Oh well. I'll give it a shot, at least. Look for that sometime this afternoon.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Brian Wilson, "Heroes and Villains"

No comments: