Wednesday, January 05, 2005

"Bob Dylan's 115th Dream"

So I think I may've reached some sort of Dylan saturation point last night. After finishing up Chronicles, listening to Dylan albums virtually non-stop for the past three or four days, and wearing one of my Dylan t-shirts yesterday, I think it all finally caused my poor brain to gently snap.

See, I had this weird dream last night. Dylan came into town and chewed out this group of people for things I wish I could recall now. I remember it being something along the lines of Jesus tossing the moneychangers out of the Temple. He was full of fire and vitality and righteous anger, and I recall thinking that whatever he was doing was absolutely correct and right.

Then I woke up around 5.00 to a thunderstorm. In January. Lord, the weather in this state is messed up.

So after all this, my phone ringing at 7.45 this morning seemed almost mundane.

Let's get something straight--I'm not much of a morning person. Oh, I can get up early if I need to, I can even function coherently and act cheerful and stuff. But if I had my preference, I'd sleep late every day and stay up all hours of the night. If the rest of the world functioned on the same time table as I did, I'd be perfectly happy. But I know it won't, so I just have to conform to the world for now.

Anyway, the notion of someone calling me at that hour--especially since I was trying to get ready to go to work--was a little annoying and absurd. But it was mom, making sure I walked to work this morning instead of driving or taking the bike (not that I'd take the bike out if it's raining...especially if it's freezing rain, like what we've got right now). Anyway, she said even though it was just raining at the time, the temperature was dropping rapidly and everything would likely freeze by midday. Well, it is doing the freezing rain thing outside, and I keep remembering that I don't have an umbrella. So yeah, I drove. But I didn't park in the stadium or the parking garage--no, I've learned my lesson with that stuff. Instead, I parked in a parking lot right across the street from the stadium where the convenience store I frequent is located. I don't think anyone will mind today.

One interesting thing my mom mentioned this morning was that Shawnee Public Schools were cancelled for today. Preemptive decision making, I guess, but it's strange for Shawnee to cancel school. They never cancel school. Hell, Jesus Himself could be descending from the clouds shrouded in glory and surrounded by a choir of angels singing His praises, and Shawnee would probably still have classes.

Looking back over that last sentence, there's a good chance I just condemned myself in the hearts and minds of everyone in my hometown. Hurray!

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Bob Dylan, "Bob Dylan's Dream"

No comments: