Monday, January 10, 2005

"Lefty, He Can't Sing The Blues"

So when I was turning onto Gray Street this afternoon on my way to the post office, my car did this bizarre little swervy fishtail wiggle thing, and freaked me right the hell out. I thought I'd blown a tire or something; it felt like I was skidding along a huge patch of ice (but it was almost 70 outside, so there's no way it was ice). Anyway, I managed to regain control of the car without too much trouble (though it did kick my heartrate up a bit for the next several minutes) and finished the errands I had to do. Of course, I also spent the rest of my time in the car attempting to replicate the wobble, but never managed it (which is probably a good thing). I think it was just a slick patch--it's been very damp and humid all day without actually just raining, so there's a thin film of water on everything, and there's a good chance there was some oil or something on the road there as well.

Anyway, I was fairly productive today. Made huge progress on grad school applications (figuring out deadlines, application fees, and writing my statement of purpose) and an application to do some adjunct teaching over at Seminole State College (assuming they hire me). Also got another couple of weeks of comics scripted (though I've changed the series so much from the original that I've written myself into a bit of a corner and don't know how I'm going to end the current story).

Also picked up a new novel to read called The Ill-Made Mute. Wendy had mentioned it as a book I needed to read back in...oh, February, I guess, and she mentioned it again yesterday when I called to get her mailing address from her. A book (or series, since it's the first of a trilogy) that can not only hold her interest for that long, but actually get her to go out and buy the book (Wendy doesn't buy books very often; in all the years I've known her, I think she's actually purchased a book she was reading maybe five or six times. She usually uses libraries) must be pretty damn good, I figure. Of course, it took me three different bookstores before I finally found the damn thing.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Bob Dylan, "Things Have Changed"

No comments: