Monday, January 31, 2005

"Fogive Me My Tongue Doesn't Know What It's Doing"

Didn't get nearly enough sleep to be sitting at work for as long as I'll have to today. See, my boss is out of the office all day, so Ev and I have to basically cover everything all day 'cause we're the only two available to work. I'm working until 3.00, and then coming back again at 6.00 and working until 10.00. Then I'll collapse in a puddle of my own drool and twitch like gibbering howler monkey on speed.

This would all be easier to handle if I'd gotten more than three hours of sleep last night. Part of it wasn't entirely my fault--I just couldn't sleep last night. In an effort to make myself drowsy, and because I'm really getting into the book, I sat up reading The Ill-Made Mute. When I started reading that book at work yesterday, I was maybe a quarter of the way through it. Now I'm about 4/5 of the way through it, and it's a pretty damn long book.

It really took me awhile to get into the narrative of the book. The first hundred or so pages moved pretty slow, establishing the world and the main character...and then the author spent the next two hundred pages tearing all that apart and rebuilding it, only this time on an epic scale that's wild fun to read. She gave the main character, the titular mute, a personality and a point of view, something that had been missing over the first hundred or so pages. And once the character got out of the fortress/stronghold/tower/thing she'd been working in and out into the wilderness, the author's prose style really started to work for her. I'm actually interested in the story and the characters now, and curious to see where she takes it in the next two books (which I'll definitely be picking up now--originally, I'd been wary of getting the second and third books of the trilogy, but now I'm hooked and convinced they're worth reading).

Anyway, I'm having to play authority figure here at work this morning. Since my boss is out, I have to be all responsible and stuff. I guess I'm doing okay at it, but I always fear that I'm going to do something wrong and screw up things not only for me, but for everyone else.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Old 97s, "Buick City Complex"

No comments: