Saturday, February 26, 2005

"When Your Groove Supply Is Running Out"

Went to the Metropolitan Library Book Sale this morning. That thing is wonderful and confusing all at once. Folks line up an hour or two before it starts (I got there at 8.45. They open the doors at 9.30. There were already dozens of people ahead of me in line, all with the bearing of those who had been sitting there for awhile). By the time the doors open, there are several hundred people in the waiting area, all chomping at the bit to get a bunch of old books for 50 cents or a dollar.

Admittedly, it's a great deal. It's hit or miss what you'll find there on a given year, but you can usually find something to make the trip worth your while. I picked up several older novels, including a couple of H.G. Wells' stuff (The Invisible Man and The Time Machine), Arthur C. Clarke's 2001: A Space Odessey, a Kurt Vonnegut novel, Johnathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels, and Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray. I also grabbed a few history books, but I figure most of you don't care about that.

Talked with dad this morning, and he said he'd buy me a ticket to go see the Wallflowers in Tulsa next month. My concert season is really kicking into high gear, y'know? Tribute 1964 last month, Wallflowers and Mellencamp next month, and possibly Wilco in April. It's amazing that so many decent bands are actually playing in Oklahoma. I, for one, am not going to complain about the good fortune...or the fact that dad keeps paying for my tickets.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Uncle Tupelo, "New Madrid"

3 comments:

Noise Monkey said...

I remember when I used to go to concerts all the time.

...no...wait...no I don't.

Chuck Cottrell said...

Speaking of, if you want to hit the Wallflowers concert with me next month, dad said he'd spring for that ticket, too. Granted, I don't even know if you like the Wallflowers.

Noise Monkey said...

The Wallflowers are indeed goodness. I wish it could happen, but I'm sure that it would not be a possibility. Curse my overwhelming poorness.