Monday, February 07, 2005

"Just A Whisper On The Wind"

I hate being late for things. Things like appointments, dates, gatherings with friends, and work. So when I woke up this morning, glanced at the alarm, and realized it was already 8.00 (the time when I'm supposed to be at work), I have to admit that I was just more than a little peeved.

I don't know why it's become so hard for me to make it to work on time anymore. Back when I was busier than hell a couple of semesters ago, I didn't think twice about making it to work by 7.45 every morning, bright-eyed and ready to go...okay, maybe "bright-eyed" is a little exaggeration, but you get the idea. I've slid downhill, spiralled towards that point where I'm starting to think to myself, "gosh, if I were my employer, I'd be worried about my ability to work about now or to maintain the professional standards we've established." Granted, since I work for the academic side of the OU Athletic Department, these standards aren't very high, and I'm definitely not my own boss, so it's probably for the best that I just make the effort from now on to get to work on time.

Something that'd help tremendously would be going to bed earlier. This whole not going to sleep until around 2.00 am thing is a real pain.

Actually, what needs to happen is that I need to get to the point where I'm working the schedule I'm...well, scheduled for. When I work a night shift, I'm actually scheduled to come in the next day at 9.00, not 8.00. I've been having to come in at 8.00 anyway just because of staff shortage, but still...I dunno. I guess it'll all get worked out. These things usually do.

Anyway, later I shall regale you with tales of a stormy south...or perhaps just a review of Mermaid Avenue like I said I'd write yesterday. I know, I know--I'm full of promises, which are only so much wasted breath, it seems.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: George Harrison, "Stuck Inside a Cloud"

No comments: