Wednesday, February 23, 2005

"And In The End"

So Queen of Wands, one of the webcomics I really enjoy, ended it's run today.

It was a planned ending. The young lady who writes and draws the comic, Aerie, had it set up for quite some time. She's been tying up loose ends, ending plots, and generally prepping the characters (and the audience) for its denoumont.

Now, there are lots of other people who can wax poetic about the end of the strip and be far more eloquent than I. I'm sad to see the comic end; it was consistantly well-written, and Aerie was unafraid to put her characters through the ringer and see what happened. She let the characters grow, change, and evolve, just as real people would do.

I know she's got another project in the works. I'm excited about that. I have no idea what it'll be, whether the humor or the style will be anything like QoW or not, but I look forward to seeing what else Aerie will do with comics. I'm sad to see QoW end, just as I'm sad to see most anything end (except Creed. I danced a jig the day that noise pollution died). Endings always make me a little sad, because there's the knowledge that, while these characters may continue on in life, doing things and growing, I won't be able to watch it happen. The characters Aerie created, the world they exist in, continues on. The people change, grow, develop, meet, part, and generally live as people do. We just don't get to watch it happen anymore.

In less depressing news, ClanBOB is bringing back Life of Riley. This makes me happy. Very happy. Their websit went down over a year ago for reasons that were never entirely clear, and when it came back up a month or so ago, they said they weren't going to bring back LoR immediately. Well, apparently they're ready now, which is good--they sorta left us with a cliffhanger when the site went down, and I want to see what happens next.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: The Beatles, "The End"

2 comments:

Noise Monkey said...

I never read QoW, but I know that it does suck when something you like ends.

On the plus side, the whole thing is running again, with commentary!

Chuck Cottrell said...

I think I started reading it around the time of the first Something Positive crossover. Got hooked for some reason, and kept reading. I think it has something to do with my insatiable desire for webcomics.

I do look forward to the commentaries for the comics. It'll be neat seeing what Aerie thinks about her own creation.