Thursday, February 24, 2005

"Rain On The Scarecrow"

Well, went up to Stillwater this afternoon. Turns out half the trip was wasted--OSU doesn't have a history program that really fits my needs or desires. The guy I talked to was nice and very honest, and I was glad he took time out of his schedule to chat with me, even if I'm not actually going to apply to his school.

The other half of the trip, though, the part about me meeting up with my grandparents for dinner and the like, was well-spent. We ate at Eskimo Joe's, where I got the cheesefries I've been craving all week. After we ate, we putzed around Stillwater for a bit, visiting JC Penny's (but finding nothing) and then Wal-Mart (where I found a new wristwatch to replace my sadly-dying old Timex Ironman. It lived up to its name--it lasted for about seven or eight years, and the display is just finally starting to go. Considering how hard I was on that thing, it's amazing it lasted so long. Very sturdy. Ol' Faithful shall be missed. Crap, I just eulogized a wristwatch, didn't I?). My grandmother also had a couple of things for me she'd brought with her--a few articles of clothing she thought I'd like (a couple of long-sleeved button-up shirts for work, and a nice fleecy jacket thing) and a batch of chocolate chip cookies. I loves me some home-baked chocolate chip cookies (doing my best to make sure they last longer than the night. It's not easy).

Anyway, getting to see them was good, and the break in my routine was nice as well. I hadn't realized how much of a rut I was in here in Norman until I left for an afternoon like this. Sure, I've gone home and to my aunt & uncle's place a few times, but I've mostly just worn paths between my apartment, work, and the two or three stores I tend to visit for stuff (Wal-Mart, Hastings, Best Buy, Borders). Life's become frighteningly predictable. I needed to shake things up a bit, and an afternoon trip out of town--even if it didn't accomplish its primary goal--was still a good way to break up the monotony. Of course, it also just made me realize how much I want to take a long trip to Arkansas or Virginia.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: The Eagles, "One of These Nights"

No comments: