Sunday, February 13, 2005

"Hello Old Friend"

Had fun visiting with Ali today. We puttered around North OKC for awhile, hitting Best Buy and Barnes & Noble (and oddly enough, I didn't find anything I wanted...strange, that), then went and had dinner at Johnny Carrino's (mmm, Italian food). After that, we putzed around Quail Springs Mall, decided against seeing a movie, and then her boyfriend called and was mad that she wasn't back at the house yet, so we called it a night.

His reaction sorta surprised me, though. I mean, she and I haven't seen one another in about a year and a half, we figured out. And the one time I've met this guy, he really didn't like me. We think he's afraid I'll try and steal her away from him or something (we both laughed when he actually admitted that about a year or so ago). Of course, he's also untrusting of her assistant teacher, a 39 year old married man, mostly 'cause the guy's taken her out to lunch a couple of times when school wasn't in session but they had to be at work anyway. I've just decided that Ali's boyfriend is exceptionally insecure and thinks all other males are a threat to him...which is silly. I mean, she's living with him, not me, y'know?

I'm always a little amused by the idea that any guy could feel threatened by me. It's happened a couple of times, and each time there was never a chance of me stealing the girl away from the guy--either she was too devoted to him, or I was too good a friend to want to even try to take her away.

Picked up Mermaid Avenue, Volume II this evening when I got back into Norman. Very spiffy CD. The lyrics are more...venomous than those of the first volume. I think Bragg and Wilco grouped the songs like that on purpose, possibly. But excellent stuff.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Billy Bragg & Wilco, "All You Fascists"

2 comments:

Noise Monkey said...

Send her a gift...something totally innoccuous. Then, he'll be even more threatened...even though its over something like...I don't know...socks or something. Heh heh heh...

Chuck Cottrell said...

Tempting, but that'd probably cause even more trouble than I have already, and believe it or not, I actually don't want to be causing more trouble.