Monday, February 21, 2005

"Just A Little Something To Look Forward To"

I have this overwhelming urge to listen to a CD I have by a band called Clearlake. I picked up the CD while I was in England a few years back. It was on a whim--I wanted a British CD that I wouldn't be able to find anywhere in the US (in hindsight, part of me wishes I'd picked up the two-part "Pyramid Song" single by Radiohead, since it came out like the day before we left. But I have trouble spending like six or seven dollars on three songs. I'm weird like that). So I found this Clearlake CD in one of those "featured local artist" things (even though I was in London and the band was from Bristol, I think. But I digress).

Anyway, the CD is pretty standard Britpop, very melodic and subdued and somber. There are a couple of chugging, chunky rockers on the album (which is called Lido, in case you were curious), and it's a decent enough CD, I guess. A little too studied and meloncholy for my usual tastes, but it's got some interesting (and very British) lyrics, a couple of nice guitar hooks, and it's enjoyable overall.

And for some reason, I just really want to listen to that CD tonight. I've been listening to John Mellencamp for the past two or three days, which is an exceptionally different style of music when you get right down to it. No idea why I want to listen to Clearlake at this moment, but I guess I'll do that when I get home. Makes as much sense as anything I do, really.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Clearlake, "Don't Let the Cold In"

No comments: