Monday, February 21, 2005

"We Can't Stop Here! This Is Bat Country!"

Hunter S. Thompson, gonzo journalist, died over the weekend. Apparently the 67 year old took his own life with a gun.

It's hard to imagine that such an important figure in fringe and pop culture is gone, y'know? I think I know why he did it (Thompson was a very vocal opponent of Dubya, not to mention the fact that he probably had enough alcohol and other drugs in his system over the years to take down a large elephant), but it still doesn't explain why he didn't feel he could hang around and help warp another generation to think outside of whatever little box we let ourselves get trapped inside.

Really, it's just hard to imagine that such a hard-living individual would go that way, y'know? I figured he'd be face down in a pool of his own bodily fluids in the bathroom after a weeklong bender. Guess not, though. I mean, sure, probably face down in a pool of his own blood, and I can't make any sort of statement about the drug content of his bloodstream at the time, but still...just doesn't seem right.

So in his honor, go watch Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas or something. Then go watch Grease, 'cause apparently Sandra Dee (mentioned in one of the songs) capped it over the weekend, too (special thanks to the Monkey for pointing out my earlier error. Apparently Olivia Newton-John is still alive and well, dammit).

~chuck

Song of the Moment: John Mellencamp, "Get a Leg Up"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

funny huh? i did a little thing on Thompson too. kinda sad.

-mon

Noise Monkey said...

By the by...Olivia Newton-John lives. Sadra Dee, the actress named in one of the songs in Grease...and in relation to Newton-John's character, is no longer with us.

Dee was once the wife of Bobby Darin (both were portrayed in a quite recent film, Beyond the Sea, with Darin being played by Kevin Spacey and Dee by Blue Crush's Kate Bosworth). If you want to honor her memory, go rent Gidget, though God only knows why you would subject yourself to that.

Noise Monkey said...

Curse my fingers...that should've read SaNdra in the first sentence.

Chuck Cottrell said...

Monkey, it worries me--really worries me--that you know that. I mean, c'mon. I know you're married and all, but surely you have some manhood left to ya.

Noise Monkey said...

What can I say? I'm a sponge for useless information. I saw Grease with Andria, then I saw ads for the Kevin Spacey movie...

Info goes in, it doesn't get out.

Unless it's important.