Monday, February 28, 2005

"Start Your Slavin' Job To Get Your Pay"

Work isn't fun anymore. It's a sad, sad fact, but it's the truth--working at the Writing Center has lost its joy, lost its spark, vim, and vigor.

It's still a great job to have--decent pay, decent hours, and I like the other consultants and my boss. But...well, with all the crap that's going on with the hierarchy here and various problems with my boss's boss, the joy is slowly seeping out of this occupation.

I know that there are some people who would argue that it's a job and thus isn't supposed to fun. But I disagree with that--I don't think there's any point in working a long-term job that you don't like. I've been working here for almost three years, and that seems pretty long-term to me. Personally, I don't think I'd work a job I didn't enjoy for longer than a couple of months. What's the point? If your job makes you miserable, why stay in it? Work won't necessarily always be easy or a barrelful of the proverbial monkeys, but shouldn't you at least enjoy and like what you do for a living?

Well, that's becoming increasingly difficult, given our working environment. Ev compared it to working in a police state, which seems all too accurate. I know that the NCAA has started causing all sorts of problems for schools across the board, tightening up restrictions and regulations, making our lives more difficult. I also know that a few student-athletes have caused us specific trouble, restricting what we're actually able to do with our jobs, and that non-athletes have been coming in causing trouble.

The espirit d'corpse seems to have died, if you'll forgive the pun. This is increasingly merely what I do for a paycheck rather than what I do because it's a wonderful working experience. The fact that such a distinction needs to be made saddens me in indescribable ways.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: BTO, "Takin' Care of Business"

5 comments:

Noise Monkey said...

Well, if you're looking for something to pass a month or two at after this, I'm sure you're local Wal-Mart is more than happy to spend that time sucking your very soul from your body...

Anonymous said...

Wow. Deja vu. :-p I completely understand the feelings your experiencing. And you are correct.

Why stay in a place that you don't enjoy. Not to be too cliched, but life is far too short for that.

I'm on my way as it is. :)

-Dav-

Chuck Cottrell said...

Oddly enough, it's not the job that I dislike. Far from it--I still enjoy helping students learn and grow as writers. I like seeing their writing improve over the course of a semester or a year or two. It's that the work environment--which was so open and free and downright ebulent before--is becoming more and more restrictive and fascist. But it's also still the best job I could ask for, given the wages, hours, flexibility of schedule, and freedom the job still offers. I mean, I get most of my comics drawn at work. I get most of my papers written there. I've read over a dozen books at work since the semester started. Sure aren't many other jobs that give me that much freedom.

And Monkey, we both know Wal-Mart would never take me--I've got two degrees and can read without moving my lips.

Noise Monkey said...

...HEY!!

Chuck Cottrell said...

Hey, if the blue vest fits... :)