Saturday, October 02, 2004

"When October Rolls Around"

It is an absolutely gorgeous Saturday night here in central Oklahoma, and I just got back from a jog (pardon the dripping sweat). That's three days this week I've been running, which is more than I've done in the past month.

That last sentence makes me sad.

Anyway, I spent yesterday afternoon/today in Shawnee, doing laundry and other needful things. My grandmother took me out for lunch today, I transfered money to my checking account so I can pay tuition, and I picked up lots and lots of CDs from home.

First and foremost, I borrowed several CDs from my dad (both of my uncle's band's albums, a couple of CDs that came via my father from Clif, and a few others, such as Chicago's double-disc greatest hits collection. You only need to listen to the first disc, though--the second has all the pop ballads they did in the '80s after their guitarist, Terry Kath, died). Even better than that, though, was getting back my Allman Brothers Band CD.

I haven't seen the CD since the 4th of July, when I loaned it to my uncle. I'd only had it for a week or so at best, but my uncle said he would copy it and return it the next time I saw him. He made good on his word and returned it to me latter that month at a family gathering, but it remained in my hands for all of thirty seconds before my dad said, "hey, I'd like to borrow that," and it was once again relinquished.

When I went through Shawnee on my way home to Norman from taking Beth to Florida back in early August, I saw the CD sitting in the living room. I grabbed it and moved it to a desk while I got the rest of my stuff together, fully intended to take it back to Norman with me. Forgetful dunce that I am, I left it sitting there, in the open. Clif grabbed it and took it back to Arkansas with him.

Well, when dad and mom visited him last weekend to drop off some stuff, I had my mom grab the CD from him. Thus, I was able to regain my lost CD finally, and have had the joy of listening to it again.

Anyway, I'll probably do one of them CD review thingies I've been doing so many of lately in a couple of hours, after I've showered and stuff. And, since yesterday was payday (!), I have a couple of other CDs I want to talk about--Van Morrison's Astral Weeks and REM's In Time: Best of 1989-2003. But those can wait until tomorrow, when I'm sitting at work with nothing to do and I've had time to digest the CDs a little more.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: REM, "Drive"

No comments: