Wednesday, October 27, 2004

"I Wish Someone Would Come And Push Back The Clock For Me"

I swear, sometimes the sheer unfairness of the world really depresses me.

I'm not just talking about the way the world's been unfair to me, because in a lot of ways, I've had a very easy and good life. A few crap things have happened to me, but on the whole, I've had it pretty good. No, I'm thinking more along the lines of the way it's been cruel and unfair to some of my friends, people who deserve better than what life is handing them. I don't know why bad things keep happening to them. I also think I might have my empathy turned up a little too high, because I'm getting depressed over their situations. The complete absurdity of the crap they're facing...it's disheartening to think that good people can be treated this way.

It brings up an interesting philosophical/theological point, one which more than a few people have asked over the years: why do bad things happen to good people?

That's not a question I'm really qualified to answer, but then again, I don't think anyone is really qualified. I sometimes doubt the existence of an idea like karma, because if something good happens for each bad thing, a few of us have built up enough karma that we're going to have a future life where nothing but good stuff happens. While that would be nice, I think I'd rather just take one go-'round and have some joy mixed in with the sorrow.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Bob Dylan, "Not Dark Yet"

No comments: