Thursday, October 07, 2004

"I'm Not Sleeping Anymore"

Well, babysitting was something of a disaster. Bailey was sound asleep when I arrived, and spent most of the hour I was watching her sleeping.

Thing is, when she did wake up, she didn't recognize me. That, coupled with the fact that my aunt and uncle weren't there, freaked her out. She started crying, and wouldn't let me anywhere near her.

Then her other grandmother showed up to take her and spend some time with her. Bailey went right to her, and did her damnedest to avoid me for the rest of the time they were there. I thought Bailey was actually going to get sick when I was buckling her into her carseat, she was crying and sobbing so hard.

It was rather strange. I wonder if part of it is that I've been regrowing the mustache, which she's never seen me with. I think looking different, on top of my aunt and uncle being gone and just waking up, just made me out to be something of a complete stranger to her. Which my aunt found strange, really--when she mentioned to Bailey earlier today that I was coming to visit, Bailey knew who I was (and referred to me as "Sing-Sing," since what she really remembers of me is that I sing for her). Guess that doesn't mean she remembered what I looked like. Then again, she's only two, and since Bailey and her parents are going to be living in the area come the end of the month, I'm sure Bailey will eventually remember me and not be freaked out by my appearance.

Of course, it also occurs to me that maybe I'm just really ugly and my appearance scared her.

The day since then has been tiring. I waited around until my aunt and uncle came back, mostly 'cause my aunt said she was gonna feed me (which she did). Then I drove back home, nearly falling asleep on the road. Then I got back to the apartment and did fall asleep, albeit only for a few minutes, because then I had to get up and come to work.

And now I'm at work, and it's quiet as a tomb. Everyone's gone to OU-Texas or just gone home for the three-day weekend. Personally, I'd like to be at home in bed right now, but that's not gonna happen for at least a few more hours. Ugh.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Jackson Browne, "The Pretender"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This made me laugh, Chuck. Poor Bailey. But you made it through, right? Was this your first time babysitting?

Mel

Chuck Cottrell said...

No, I've babysat before, just never for this particular girl. Really, Bailey's never been around me when there weren't lots of other people around (usually including her grandparents, great-grandparents, and parents), and the fact that her grandmother was there when she left but wasn't when she woke up probably really freaked her out.