Wednesday, October 06, 2004

"Too Much Carbon Monoxide"

I think life and the things I write here are sketches from memory--bits and pieces turn up that are ultimately inconsequential, the big stuff is left out because it didn't seem important at the time or it got lost in the wash of history, and things are generally approached in a manner that does not represent the whole story.

But that's really what living is all about, y'know? The big stuff we pretty much ignore. We focus on the tiny, immaterial and ultimately minor things, and since they are from fuzzy memories, we allow their importance to bloat and expand in our minds until the tiniest things seem like they were the most important. I think most people are like that.

When I reach the end of my life, what things will seem important then? What things will have truly mattered? Will I have changed anyone, even myself? These are questions which shall most likely remain unanswered. And maybe they don't really matter--importance depends a lot on perspective, and the perspective from the end is a very skewed one.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Bob Dylan, "Highlands"

No comments: