Saturday, October 23, 2004

"Gonna Climb A Mountain"

It's been a busy day. I accidentally overslept for class this morning (an impressive feat, considering the alarm was set, turned on, and I woke up when it went off several times). Anyway, I didn't actually wake up enough to look at the alarm until about 9.00, which is much too late to do anything about class.

After that, I got up and decided to clean the apartment, since it was a complete wreck and Scott was coming to visit. Scott does not himself care about the state of the apartment; however, I know my sibling and his insatiable desire to get me in trouble, and news that my apartment was a disaster zone would have gotten back to my mother.

So the apartment got a thorough cleaning, I got the dishes washed (for the first time in a week or two...ugh), and Scott made his way over around 1.15 or so. We puttered around Norman for a while, then came back and played a few videogames and such (I got a new battlechip for Battle Network 4 called the Z Saber. You can only get it by connecting Mega Man Zero 3 to Battle Network 4, so you need not only both games, but two Gameboys). Then Scott went home and I went over to Ev's for a little pen-and-paper RPG.

Now, I've never done much pen-and-paper gaming, having been more of a videogame and book person in my youth. But this wasn't your usual group of adventures meets in a bar and goes into a dungeon hacking and slashing for treasure and stuff. No, this was more of a fantasy version of one of my comics. My character is a thief, but he prefers the term "philosopher thief," because what he lacks in actual thieving abilities he makes up for in being able to talk people into trusting him and believing whatever the hell he says. He's also a complete and total coward who tends to survive by alternately running away, cowering in a ball, and standing stock-still. I managed to break into one of the most fearsome prisons in the world (guarded not only by an army of undead spectral soldiers, but manticores and other beasties as well), break one of my companions out, and befriend a group of time-slicing creatures who will answer my summons now, but I managed to do it without once ever actually fighting. I had Ev just a little flabbergasted when I refused to actually take part in a duel between my companion and his doppleganger and just walked off instead. I got bonus points for that.

Anyway, tomorrow is OU homecoming. I'm not looking forward to that, that's for damn sure. A bunch of stupid OU fans roaming around all day, preventing me from even walking across campus...and to top it all off, I kinda need to go home, but since it's an early game (12.00 instead of afternoon or evening) and televised, there's no way to get out of here before about 7.00 or 8.00 tomorrow night...unless I want to leave around 6.00 am tomorrow morning.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: David Gray, "What am I Doing Wrong"

No comments: