Wednesday, December 15, 2004

"Work My Hands To Make Them Strong"

Such a long day it's been. Work this morning, errands at midday, and work again this afternoon (only another hour left to go of that shift, thank goodness). I've done my research for the Medieval Italy paper and started writing. So far, I've got an introduction. But the nice this is that I know exactly what I want to argue with this paper, I know what I want to say and need to say, and writing should be fairly easy and straightforward. In other words, I shouldn't have too much trouble getting it done before I leave for Ponca City Friday.

Got to talk with Beth and Karra today during my inter-shift break. Both're doing pretty well. Beth heads back for New York this weekend, and said that the weather in Florida of all places is mimicking Oklahoma's current conditions (i.e., cold and windy). Karra was her usual boisterous self, and fun to flirt with as always (come to think of it, most of my female friends are fun to flirt with...or were, until the majority of 'em went and got married).

I'm nervous about this weekend. I don't know what's going to happen Friday night. I don't know how I'm going to react to my uncle, I don't know if one of us is going to say something to upset my grandmother, and I don't know that it won't be my mother who says it. A big part of me wishes I didn't have to go to this, but I know I need to...and, in a strange way, I want to. Sure, my uncle's abandoned us and left us for a whore of a woman, but he's still my uncle and I still love him dearly, even if he's been stupid as hell. And I do look forward to getting to see him, even if it's only briefly and I have to wear a suit for the damn thing (stupid country club rules).

Oh well, back to the paper. 19 1/2 more pages to go!

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Toad the Wet Sprocket, "Inside"

No comments: