Tuesday, December 07, 2004

"Somehow We Always Get Stuck In The Middle"

Unusual, non-thesis-related story: I drove to work yesterday evening due to what I term "torrential downpour," or "lots of rain" to the layman. It was a few minutes before 5.00, and I parked in the parking garage located adjacent to the stadium (where I work). Anyway, it was like two or three minutes till 5.00, so I didn't bother plugging any change into the meter at my parking spot, figuring they weren't going to ticket me for a couple of minutes.

So I got back to the car yesterday evening after work, and guess what was tucked under my windshield wiper? That's right, a parking ticket. They said they came by at 4.55 to give me the ticket...which I find interesting, since it was already 5.00 when I walked down the garage stairs to go to work, and it sure as hell didn't take me five minutes to get from my car to that spot. Someone's clock wasn't set right, and I distinctly remember hearing the clock bells ring out the hour as I walked down the stairs.

So I'm guessing they were just sitting there, waiting for someone to park and not put change in the meter, just so they could swoop in and give them (or, in this case, me) a $15 parking ticket for those two or three minutes. I'm so glad the university is so money-grubbing, y'know?

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Old '97s, "Blinding Sheets of Rain"

No comments: