Sunday, December 12, 2004

"I Put Down My Robe, Picked Up My Diploma"

It was a busy Saturday, lemme tell ya. Woke up around midday to the telephone ringing. Mom was wondering what I'd accomplished so far. The answer, of course, was sleep. She wasn't too thrilled about that, but as I told her, I really wasn't up for doing anything productive without a good night's sleep.

Anyway, I spent the afternoon thoroughly cleaning the apartment, room after room. Got things picked up, the dishes washed, the floors vaccumed, rooms organized and arranged in a presentable manner, etc. Hell, I have access to my dining table again, and I can see the floor of the bedroom. I moved the stack of research/drafts of the Master's Thesis off of my second desk and into an orderly stack in the closet instead. Eventually, I'll get a filing cabinet or something and put all the research and drafts in there so I have them for future reference and stuff.

I got the apartment clean just in time for the folks to show up. I went and picked up Ev, and the four of us headed to Outback Steakhouse for dinner. Dinner was excellent, and I was glad that my parents and Ev seemed to get along. Granted, they seemed slightly bewildered and amused by each other's existence, but that was to be expected, perhaps. I'm just glad there weren't any awkward pauses or anything during the night.

After dinner, my folks cracked open the big Congrats cookie they'd got me (mmm, giant cookie with icing...), and we sat around chatting for a bit before my folks (who are morning people and definitely not night people) decided to head home at 9.30...of course, this wasn't before my father had taken the opportunity to peruse my CD collection and cherry pick a half dozen CDs for his listening pleasure. I'm sure mom will be thrilled with Bob Dylan's The Bootleg Series, Volumes 1-3 and REM's In Time...and if she isn't, well, more's the pity for her, I guess.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: The Police, "Canary in a Coalmine"

No comments: