Thursday, December 16, 2004

"Smoke Smoke, Faye Faye!"

So I had a package this evening waiting on my doorstep when I got back from work. I was expecting the box, since Beth told me it was coming, but I had no idea what it would contain.

Well, what it contained was proof of just how freakin' cool Beth is: the Cowboy Bebop manga.

The anime is, of course, one of my favorite series ever, and I'd often considered picking up the three volume set of the original manga. There's also a two volume manga called Cowboy Bebop: Shooting Star, a sort of Bebop prototype with similar characters who're different (for instance, there's a guy named Spike, and he's lanky, but his character is rather different than the final product in the other manga or the anime). Anyway, Beth got me the three volumes of Bebop, which kick some serious ass. I've already read them (though I should have been working on my paper instead...but hey, manga. Why not, right?). They're very much like the anime series--episodic, stand-alone sets that all combine to tell a larger overall story, but can be taken in smaller chunks without diluting their impact. Good stuff.

Anyway, it made me all giddy and stuff getting that. Now I just gotta figure out what to get her that's as cool as that (granted, she won't be getting her present until after Christmas, 'cause I'm poor).

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Yoko Kanno & the Seatbelts, "Tank!"

No comments: