Monday, August 01, 2005

"August And Everything After"

Had a busy, busy weekend. Friday was spent applying for another half dozen teaching jobs (I've only heard back from one so far, and they said the position has already been filled. Ah well--it was a middle school job anyway). I'm hoping to have some interviews this week, and maybe--God willing--a job sometime the week or so after that.

Saturday was spent babysitting with Wendy. She babysits for a pair of twins for whom she was a nanny (back before she got her teaching job), and she asked me to come along Saturday to meet the kids and their parents and to possibly set me up as a substitute for her when she can't babysit. Made almost $100 for my troubles, which is damn good money when you consider all I did was play with little kids and keep them from getting into too much trouble. After that, we went to Alexandria to have dinner (at a little place called Bread and Chocolate. They do chocolate fondu there...damn, is that stuff good) and see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (somehow oddly appropriate). The movie was good. Very Tim Burton in terms of style. Some of it was a little forced and off, and some of it was there just because it looked neat (even if it didn't quite fit), but overall a worthwhile flick.

Sunday, we went to church over in Alexandria. Wendy sings in the choir there, so Tim and I sat out in the pews while she practiced and then sat through the service, which was a little strange (mostly because the pastor was out of town, so members of the congregation got up between songs and told quick little life stories. It was fairly interesting). I rather liked the church (which is Methodist, which is sorta the split between my usual Presbyterian and the Baptists, I guess); it was probably the first place where I felt more comfortable around here. It was a very small church, probably about the size of my church back in Shawnee (and same general makeup of the congregation, too--mostly old people who've been there for decades). Folks actually smiled and were friendly and said hello even though they didn't know me. It was comforting, really, after a week that's sorta tested my abilities to cope with a bigger city.

The rest of Sunday was given over to laundry and napping (the weekend featured two very early mornings, so I think I can be forgiven for that). We had Boston Market for dinner, which was rather tasty (but who the hell puts coleslaw on a barbeque sandwich? I mean, as a side, sure, I can understand that, but on the actual sandwich? It makes no sense). The evening was spent doing more job hunting (found another dozen or so places to apply to), drawing today's comic, and general relaxing.

The only thing to do now is wait for schools to contact me. Hopefully I'll hear some good news in the next few days.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Sting, "Inside"

1 comment:

Noise Monkey said...

Coleslaw on a barbeque sandwich?

SACRILEGE!

This place must burn!


Glad you're starting to find your groove there, though.