Sunday, August 28, 2005

"For There Were Many Things I Didn't Know"

Talked with the mother of my first tutoring student this evening. I start to tutor the guy on the 7th. They want two sessions a week, so that's $50 a week. If I can get at least one more student who wants to meet twice a week, that's over $100 per week. That coupled with my work at Huntington ought to be sufficient to pay rent and the like.

The job at Huntington is getting better. Now that I'm actually working with students, I find the job fairly rewarding. The bureaucratic junk still annoys me, but I can see why we have most of it. I think my favorite part is the one-on-one sessions. I actually get to work with a single student for an hour or two at a shot and have a positive impact on his or her work. It's great.

Went and saw The Brothers Grimm last night with Wendy, Tim, Wen's college friend Meg (whom I've met several times previously and is still one of the craziest people I've ever met), and Meg's brother Steve. The flick was great, though there were a few gaping plotholes that I'd have liked to have seen filled with, I dunno, plot. But it was still a fun movie and had some nice elements. Terry Gilliam definitely has a strong sense of style, and if that style sometimes overwhelmed the story, it was still really good style.

I'm on the Huntington schedule this week for almost 20 hours, which is great. I should be getting paid by them soon (God, I hope so), so my bank account shouldn't be quite so empty and feeble by the end of next week or the beginning of the following week. At least, that's my hope.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Ben Folds, "Late"

No comments: