Tuesday, August 16, 2005

"You Play Your Fiddle, Baby, I'll Play Dumb"

So, we have air conditioning again, thank God. The same guy who came out last week and "fixed" it returned today, and actually did what he was supposed to do last time. We sucked all the excess water out of the thing, unclogged the condensation drain, and rewired the safety switch. It's nice having climate control going again, and it's a comfortable temperature in the apartment for the first time since Friday evening.

Did some SAT training at Huntington today, which basically amounted to taking the writing and reading sections of the SAT. Took about two hours or so, all told, which was actually pretty fast considering the fact that I had to do like six or seven sections of the reading stuff and write an essay. I'm pretty confident in how I did (I have to get at least an 80% on the thing to tutor in it), and tomorrow I start my regular training with Huntington. It's paid, too, I beleive. Woot.

Dad brought an interesting thing for the other job that I hadn't considered before and actually ended up playing a major part in my decision to take the job. Apparently since I'm self-employed, I can claim a few deductions for things like mileage accumulated when driving to and from tutoring sessions, any supplies (pens, paper, etc.) I purchase for use on the job, things like that. It's not much, but at least I'll get a little compensation to offset the extra taxes I'll have to pay. He's going to help me calculate how much I'll have to keep back from each paycheck to pay said taxes.

Admittedly, since I don't have any students yet, it's all pretty moot.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Kings of Leon, "Four Kicks"

1 comment:

Noise Monkey said...

You're gonna need those deductions after paying the gas driving to and from stuff...