Wednesday, August 17, 2005

"Kicking TV"

So one of our cats, Obe (short for Oberon--guess who he's named for and who named him), has decided he is totally obsessed with my bathroom. Whenever I'm in there shaving and getting ready in the morning, I open the door to let some of the steam out. Obe always wanders in and starts alternately rubbing against my legs and attempting to gnaw the flesh from them. He apparently also climbs up into my sink when I'm not around and just hangs out in there, messing with all my stuff up there: most specifically, with my contact case. Since I leave the two little lids off so everything can dry during the day, he's discovered those're really fun toys. One of the lids is gone now, so I've had to switch to a new case...which is no big deal, in the grand scheme of things, but it all means I can't leave my bathroom door open anymore, 'cause Obe will just wander in there and start messing with stuff. I can only imagine what it'll be next--probably my toothbrush.

The job situation almost got a little too interesting today. See, Huntington has this non-competition agreement that all of their employees have to sign. It basically says that while I'm working for Huntington, I won't work for any competing companies. Only problem is that I took that other job at the same time. So I was up-front with my supervisor about having two jobs, and we discussed it, and the bottom line is that I get to keep both jobs as long as I don't mention one to the other. Seems easy enough to me.

Part of my training at Huntington was taking the Writing and Reading sections of the SAT yesterday morning. If I made over 80% on each section, I was eligible to tutor SAT prep stuff. Well, I got my results this afternoon while I was at work--I made a perfect on the Reading section and a 750 out of 800 on the Writing, which my supervisor said was near enough to perfect to count just as well. I even made a 260 on the Math section even though I didn't take it, which is actually probably better than I'd have done on it had I actually taken that section.

My two tutoring jobs seem a little more structured than my jobs at Ozarks and even OU were. Which makes sense, really, since I was tutoring college students and now I'm tutoring middle school and high school students. But I think I'm flexible to still do well, and I believe that I'm adaptable enough to really benefit the students, too.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Wallflowers, "From the Bottom of my Heart"

No comments: