Monday, August 15, 2005

"Workin' For A Living"

So, I've gone from unemployed to having two jobs, all since Friday. Crazy, huh?

I've decided to take the tutoring job in Vienna, 'cause it pays so damn well. Even if I only get, say, five hours a week, that's still another $140 a week, before I take out taxes (which, since it's self-employment, are done differently, but dad said he can help me figure that part out). An extra $560 a month? Yes, please.

I've also decided to take the job Huntington offered me this afternoon at the end of my interview there (which I was, again, in total control of...I swear, if I can just get an interview at a school for a teaching position, I'm totally in). The pay isn't as good--at best, $15 an hour, after I take a bit of training (paid training, though, which starts tomorrow)--but it's only right around the corner, and they said I can get at least 20 hours per week, easy. Between the two, my rent needs ought to be met, and the Huntington job has direct deposit (even to my poor Arvest account, God bless it).

So yeah, things are looking up on the employment front. The lady from the place in Vienna even found me another half dozen teaching jobs to apply to (and this was after I told her that I'd probably quit if I got a full-time teaching position...weird). All is good.

Well, if you don't count the air conditioning. The further adventures of our beleaguered climate control system go something like this: the condensation drain is full to overflowing, basically. That's all there is to it. I found this out today when I stuck the hose to a wet/dry vac down in the opening and siphoned out an entire shopvac's worth of water. And there's still more down there. Originally we weren't going to be able to get anyone out here until Wednesday morning at the earliest (and this was after I spent all morning contacting AC people about coming out to fix us up), but Wendy finally managed to get ahold of our landlord and he has some folks coming out tomorrow afternoon. In the meantime, I feel safe enough (after sucking that water out of there with the shopvac) to run the AC a bit this afternoon to cool it down. I've actually put the cats outside for the time being because it is cooler out there than in here. I'll have to let them back in before I go to my workshop training thing in Vienna tonight, but for the time being, they're lounging on the balcony, drowsy and content.

Anyway, I'm gonna go shower...again. I mean, I've just been sitting in the apartment for awhile. I shouldn't be sweaty from that, but I am.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Bob Dylan, "Tangled Up in Blue"

2 comments:

Noise Monkey said...

Woohoo for gainful employment! On the other hand, you should've pushed for them to throw a pretty girlfriend in as part of the benefits package. You settled too soon!

Chuck Cottrell said...

Hey, who said the benefits aren't negotiable?