Friday, August 12, 2005

"I Had A Job In The Great North Woods"

Just got back from my first interview. I spent 45 minutes totally owning the thing, really. I was in complete control of that interview from the moment it started, and I have a job now if I want it.

I'm going to think about it over the weekend and let the people know Monday after my interview with Huntington. I have a couple of reservations about this particular job, most of them related to the uncertainty of hours and the fact that I have to travel to the individual students' homes to tutor them instead of a central location. On the positive side, the pay would be $28 an hour, and the people seem to be rather friendly. I'd techinically be self-employed, as this place is a placement center rather than a tutoring center, really (it's a placement service for tutors, I guess).

But I've got until Monday to decide, really, so I'll see how the interview with Huntington goes and decide from there. I mean, I don't have to take the first job offered to me.

Yesterday in Fredericksburg was fun. Got to see Cris, whom I haven't seen in ages (though, as she commented, despite having only really met me once, we really do know each other quite well in many regards). Also got to see Meg and Bob (Wendy's old housemates from her days in the F-burg) for a bit and Michelle again. Wen, Cris, and I went to Bangkok, this excellent little Thai restaraunt in Old Town Fredericksburg, for dinner, which was excellent. I also found a nice bottle of local wine in one of the stores to send home to the folks via Wendy. After dinner, Michelle and I basically sat around and chatted for a few hours while Wen and Cris got all girly and went shopping.

So all in all, it's been a productive and fun few days. By this time next week, I ought to be at employed at least part-time somewhere, which is always good.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Nickel Creek, "Tomorrow is a Long Time"

5 comments:

Noise Monkey said...

Who's this Cris?

You move to another state and suddenly you've got all these friends I don't know! Granted, the same thing happened last time...

Chuck Cottrell said...

Cris is a girl I met through Wendy on my first visit to Virginia back in 2000. She has a law degree, meaning she is much smarter (and significantly less sane) than I.

Anonymous said...

No kidding! Where did all these women come from? Is she pretty? Do you like her as more than a friend? Does she think you're witty? Or how about Michelle? Is she any of these thing?


Mel

Chuck Cottrell said...

These are all women I'd met in my first few visits to this state, friends of Wendy's from college. I'm not really at liberty to say more than that, though.

Noise Monkey said...

Look out hot spanish golfer chick!