Monday, August 29, 2005

Kings of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreak

I try not to buy CDs from bands I've only heard one song by. It usually ends in pain and heartache, and I've sold many a CD to CD Warehouse as a result. There have been exceptions, of course: my obsession with the Barenaked Ladies was derived entirely from the song "One Week;" I bought the Flaming Lips' Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots on the strength of "Fight Test" alone; I started listening to the Old 97s because of a song I heard from their frontman's solo work. But those are the exceptions, not the rules. Let us not forget the pain The Strokes caused me when I tried to listen to one of their CDs (I only managed to ever listen to it all the way through once...God, that was a terrible album).

So I probably shouldn't have gone and bought the Kings of Leon's Aha Shake Heartbreak just because I liked "Four Kicks." Sure, it's a fun song, with a great beat and a pulse-pounding guitar, but that doesn't always mean the rest of the album will be that quality. As it turns out, the album is hit-and-miss, sometimes scoring a direct hit (with tracks such as the aforementioned "Four Kicks") and sometimes going so wide of the target that it's painful.

The biggest issue I have with the album is the singer's voice. The affectation and vocal histronics are a bit much for me. He sounds like he's trying to do some sort of David Byrne via Bob Dylan thing, and it doesn't always work. It's an acquired taste, I guess, and one that grows easier to listen to with each spin of the disc (c'mon, I'm the guy who listens to Dylan and the Flaming Lips and Neil Young; bad voices don't necessarily put me off too much). Musically, it's a very strong record. The band consists of only four guys: a singer, a guitarist, a bass player, and a drummer. They manage to make a lot of noise anyway.

Really, they sound like southern rock stripped of the country influences that usually implies. There's plenty of crunchy guitar riffs, thumping basslines, and gut-stomping drums. They're fond of changing tempos mid-song, shifting gears in a heartbeat and bringing the energy up another notch. It's southern rock for the new millenium, filtered through the twenty-odd years of musical styles that have existed since the Allman Brothers and Lynard Skynard ruled the roost.

Lyrically, the Kings of Leon are a mixed bag. Some of their tunes are wildly inventive--"Four Kicks," for example, is about cock fighting (y'know, like with the birds? Pervert)--but some are too abstracted to really make any sense. With the singer's vocal affectations, the lyrics are really nothing more than a way to add a shade of texture or emotion to the music, just another instrument in their arsenal. And these guys treat music like a weapon, cutting and hacking their way through each song as though glory lay on the other side of a three minute track.

Overall, Aha Shake Heartbreak is a fairly strong album with a minimum of filler. The Kings of Leon are making music by their own rules, bizarre and incomprehensible as those rules may sometimes seem to the listener. It's a grower, and if you give the album a chance, it'll hook you.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Kings of Leon, "Four Kicks"

2 comments:

Noise Monkey said...

curious. if you're posting the things you would've otherwise posted here in the one in your rantspace, what happens to this one?

Chuck Cottrell said...

Oh, I'm still gonna post constantly in this one, too...it'll just sorta depend on my mood which one I post in.