Saturday, August 07, 2004

"The Wedding Song"

Well, Adam and Andria's wedding went very well. The wedding ceremony itself was very touching, with Adam's dad officiating the marriage. You could tell he was very proud--he kept having to choke back tears of pride and joy in the match his eldest son had made. The small children involved behaved themselves (as well as small children can), and no one fell or fainted or anything.

Anyway, I head home tomorrow sometime. I've done everything I set out to do on this trip, save for visiting with Amanda Erisman, who was supposed to show up to the wedding and didn't. I haven't been able to get ahold of her, either. I'd be worried, except that this is Amanda, and she often doesn't answer my phonecalls.

All the weddings (those I've attended and not been able to attend thusfar and those forthcoming) have got me thinking. I'm not mopey because I'm still single and most of the people I know are married or at least seeing someone. I could really care less about that, and I'm genuinely happy that my friends have found another individual with whom to spend the rest of their lives. I wish all my newly-married (and those not-so newly married) the very, very best in life, and hope their days together will be filled with joy and wonder. But I do kinda wonder if I have anything like what Adam's been able to find in store for me. Adam's father commented that over the last few days, things have been understandably stressful for all those involved. But he'd noticed that Adam and Andria sort of wrapped themselves around one another, protecting each other from the stress and annoyances. It was mostly little things--picking up something from a particular place of business associated with the wedding, or taking care of someone for a moment, or taking the dog for a walk. These little things all added up. Adam and Andria are so committed to one another, I don't think either one can possibly conceive of an existence now where the other one is not a part of their lives. It's a very touching thing, really. We'd all be so lucky to have that, I think.

Anyway, next week is my trip to Florida with Beth, Jess, and Dom. I'll be having to pack light for that trip, since most of the stuff that'll be going into my car will be Beth's, and there won't be much room for extra stuff. That trip's going to be even harder than this one--we're going further, taking roads I have never personally driven (I've driven between Shawnee and Clarksville probably close to 100 times, and even the roads to Little Rock and El Dorado I've driven a few times at least. While I've been down to Florida many times, I've never driven there), and I'll have to make the trip back by myself. But I'm borrowing my grandfather's walkie-talkies for the trip, so those'll come in handy for communication between the cars.

Which reminds me--I need to call Beth tomorrow evening, probably...

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Wilco, "Heavy Metal Drummer"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be careful on your trip to Florida, pleeeeeease. And thank you. :OP

Anonymous said...

Be careful on your trip to Florida, pleeeeeease. And thank you. :OP

Chuck Cottrell said...

Hey, I'm always careful. Careful is my middle name...wait, no, that's Michael. My bad.