Thursday, August 19, 2004

"Every Song's A Comeback"

So Ev and I decided we want to teach a class on analyzing song lyrics. The idea fascinates me--taking song lyrics apart with the tools of literary deconstruction, deciphering meaning and nuance, examining songs not just as entertainment, but as an expression of something deeper and as true art. It's the sort of thing I've wanted to do for as long as I've liked music. Not to mention the fact that we'd be teaching a class using the lyrics of musicians such as the Beatles and Bob Dylan.

Of course, the class couldn't be done exclusively with classic rock lyrics. While there are plenty of good songs to choose from, it wouldn't really connect with the students as well as getting songs they're interested in. That's part of the fun of the class--getting the students interested and involved in the analysis. That involves using material they have an interest in. It means I'll probably have to listen to some rap or country, but it's a small price to pay for getting to teach Bob Dylan and the Beatles.

Work seems to be dragging by. I've finished my book, I've beaten my videogame, I've got comics drawn for the next two or three updates. I'm not really in the mood to write, and there's not really any websites I want to cruise right now. And I'm stuck here for another 3 1/2 hours. Ugh.

Talked with Beth and Clif last night. Beth is doing well, though she'd managed to get locked into her apartment Sunday night apparently (and then it took the emergency maintenance man eight hours to come get the door opened. She finally got a new door installed yesterday). It sounds like she's getting settled in down in Tallahassee, and that her grad school experience will be an exceptionally positive one. Part of me thinks that's not fair.

Clif rattled on and on for quite a while about a variety of things, mostly his enjoyment of his stay in Colorado. He also informed me that he and my father are coming over tomorrow to procure my vehicle to aid Scott in moving back to Alva on Saturday, and that he's going to be borrowing my Allman Brothers Band CD. The former isn't too big of a deal (maybe they'll wash and clean the car out for me while they've got it), but the latter annoys me a bit.

See, I got the CD back in late June. About a week or so after I got it, I loaned it to my uncle so he could make a copy of it. A few weeks later (the next time I saw my uncle), he gave it back to me...only to have my father borrow it before I even made it out of the driveway of my uncle's house. I grabbed the CD Monday when I stopped by home, but then left it sitting on the table by the couch when I was heading out to my car with my ice chest of food. So Clif informed me he was going to borrow it, which set me off a bit. But I arranged a trade--he's going to borrow the Allman Brothers, I'm going to borrow his new Clapton CD (Me and Mr. Johnson, the CD Clapton was touring for when I saw him). Guess I'll get my Allman Brothers CD back eventually...at least, I hope. I'd kinda like to listen to it at some point.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Allman Brothers Band, "Whipping Post"

No comments: