Wednesday, August 25, 2004

"Wake Up Bomb"

It's way too early to be awake, and I've been up since 6.30. This 8.30 class thing may kill me. Then again, it may also inspire me to go to bed before midnight once in a while, but don't count on it.

It occurred to me yesterday that I have more Bob Dylan CDs than any other band or musician. I have more Bob Dylan than I do Beatles, or Pink Floyd, or Bruce Springsteen, or Tom Petty, or Sting, or any other music act with which I've been obsessed. If even if you only include the albums proper and exclude things like the Bootleg Series (which I've got all six volumes of) or Greatest Hits collections, I've still got more Dylan than anything else.

The thing is, I don't even have most of his albums. I've got most (if not all) of the great albums. I think I still need to get Down in the Flood, a live album from his tour with the Band in the mid-70s, and probably Infidels as well, but then there are maybe only one or two other albums that are even worth attention. And this possesses something of a problem--after I've got all the good albums, what do I do then? I mean, I'll still have a craving for more Dylan, for Dylan I haven't heard, and there won't be anything worthwhile to pick up. I'll be up against an impass. It's part of the reason I've slowed down in my purchase of Dylan albums, really. Well, except of late. I bought one Dylan CD right before Florida--Another Side of Bob Dylan--and picked up The Times They Are A-Changin' just a couple of days ago (mostly because I found it for $8.00. That's a damn good price). Really, the only albums left for me to get are the aforementioned two, his eponymous début, and an album called New Morning. So unless Dylan comes out with a new album or another installment of the Bootleg Series sometime soon, I could be up the proverbial creek.

What does all this have to do with anything? Absolutely nothing at all, but it was something to write about, and my morning-fogged brain needed something easy to ease it into the day.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Bob Dylan, "Only a Pawn in Their Game"

No comments: